Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Trying Momma's Sunday Dinner - Episode 1

As a momma who's trying really hard to keep the family link alive there comes a time when you look around and realize that dinner, each and every night, together as a family, is going the way of play dates & bedtime stories.


My children are 14 and 12. For years we've had dinners together with my husband every single night. They are my favorite time of the day. They are a time for telling stories, quizzing each other from the Almanac, laughing and connecting. The last few weeks I've looked around and noticed that one day one child is staying at school through dinner for drill team, another day the other child is at practice til 8pm. Suddenly a week happens when there are consistently only three of us sitting down to those meals each night. Awful!

And it's only going to get worse as they get older.

My solution? Sunday Dinner. No one schedules anything for Sunday, at least not in Texas they don't. This week we begin. It's a bit of a secret though. If I tell my husband that I'm creating another obligation, I'm sure to get blow back. No, it's simply going to be the slow development of a habit. He won't even notice til it's too late.

I'm thinking I can get the kids involved in picking the meal and shopping for fresh ingredients Sunday afternoon. They can help cook and it wouldn't hurt for them to begin to learn their way around the kitchen. I'm going this week to buy a few things to kick off Trying Momma's Sunday Dinner. A special table cloth with cloth napkins, a low candle stick with candles, a bread basket, and a box.  

Sunday dinner supplies, in their own special place, sets the tone that this day is different.

In this blog I'll post process and results: the recipes, the shopping, the successes and the failures. Wish us well.

Signed,

Trying Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment